1 cup grated coconut
8 garlic cloves
2 red chilis
2 tsp chopped coriander Salt (as required)
2 tbsp Sawantwadi Garam Masala
½ piece jaggery
6 small aubergines
4 potatoes a pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp turmeric powder (opt)
1 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya) (opt)
1. Cut ½ an onion lengthwise and fry it in 1 tsp oil till golden brown. Add 1 cup grated coconut and fry till the coconut changes colour.
2. Add ½ inch ginger, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 red chilies, 2 tsp chopped coriander and grind to a fine paste. Add minimum amount of water.
3. Add 1 large onion finely chopped, salt (as required), 2 tbsp of Sawantwadi Garam Masala and ½ piece of jaggery. Mix well and stuff small aubergines and potatoes.
4. In a pan (kadai), heat oil to smoking point. Add 5-6 chopped garlic cloves and a pinch of Asafoetida (hing) and sauté.
5. Add ½ finely chopped onion and let it turn to a pinkish brown color.
6. Add the stuffed brinjals and potatoes making sure that they are well spread out and do not break while cooking. Cook on low flame without adding water.
7. When done check the spices and complete the recipe with 1 tbsp of roasted powdered groundnuts as a garnish.
Please note: You can also add turmeric powder and 1 tsp of coriander powder (dhaniya) while preparing the stuffing.