6 plump, long green chilies (non spicy)
3/4 cup gram flour
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp carom seeds
1/4 tsp ginger garlic paste (opt)
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp Lakadong Turmeric
1 pinch baking soda (will not rise without it)
Oil for deep frying
1 onion finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
Salt to taste
1 green chili chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp East Godavari Garam Masala
Instructions (Preparation for Mirchi Pakoda)
1. Make sure you use less spicy chilies. Rinse the chilies. Wipe dry with a clean cloth or kitchen tissues.
2. Slit them in the centre length wise, deseed and set aside. If any seeds are left inside they may burst in oil.
3. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
4. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, turmeric, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste & carom seeds thoroughly in a bowl.
5. Pour water little by little to get the right consistency, not thin and not too thick. The batter should just coat the chili when it is dunked in the batter. Too thin batter will begin to drip off from the chilies .Too thick will not cling on to the chilies. Once you finish mixing, just whisk 4 to 5 times with a fork on a medium speed.
Instructions (Making Mirchi Pakoda)
1. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small portion of the batter to the hot oil. If it is ready, the batter will rise immediately without browning. Reduce the flame to medium.
2. Dip the chilies completely in the batter and coat them well.
3. Gently slide it in hot oil. Fry till they turn golden and crisp on a medium flame. Transfer them on to a kitchen tissue.
4. Optional step for extra crispness – Once you finish frying all, revert them back to the hot oil. Fry them again for 1 to 2 mins, to keep them crispy for longer time.
Stuffing for the Mirchi Pakoda
1. Mix together onions, green chilies, East Godavari Garam Masala and coriander leaves. Sprinkle some lemon juice. Mix all of them.
2. Take a small spoon or knife and open up the slit gently. Stuff all of them as desired with the onion & chilies.
3. Serve mirchi pakoda immediately with a cup of tea using our Chai ka Masala.
Recipe by Swasthi
Ps. We do not own the image.